How do I enrol?

Most students apply to enrol online, or you can call into the Hub on Level 1 to enrol in person.

At the Hub you can also:

  • pay your fees
  • have your photo taken for your Student ID card
  • attend to other matters related to your enrolment.

If you are not a New Zealand Citizen, Australian Citizen, or a permanent resident of New Zealand or Australia, you will apply to enrol using the application process for international students. You can find more information on the International Students website.

Should I enrol full or part-time?

Whilst most students choose to study full-time, some students find part-time study necessary to work around other life-factors. Students may choose part-time study because of a range of factors, such as a need to balance work or family commitments, or because of a disability.

The main advantage of studying part-time is that you are able to devote more time to each paper, which may result in better grades. This is particularly important for students who have fatigue, mental health issues and specific learning disabilities, as well as students who are parents or caregivers.

When deciding which option is best for you, it pays to look carefully at what the papers you have chosen will demand of you. How many hours of lectures, tutorials, laboratories and field trips are required? How much reading and study will you need to commit to each paper outside of class time? What other commitments do you have? How will it affect you financially?

If you enrol full-time but find that you cannot manage the workload, you can reduce your study to part-time by withdrawing from papers. Remember though, there are early deadlines for making these changes if you are seeking a fee refund.

Limited full-time study

If you're not able to study full-time you may still be able to get financial help (Student Allowance and/or Student Loan) under limited full-time status. To qualify you need to meet one of these criteria:

  • You have an illness, a disability or some other reason beyond your control which stops you studying full-time.
  • You have been advised by your education provider to study less than full-time.
  • You're finishing a recognised programme and to do this you're studying less than full-time but your course is more than half of a full-time course.

Application forms for Limited Full-time status can be collected from the Accessibility Services team on the Hamilton campus or download the form from StudyLink.