Helpful Information for New Students

This section answers some of the questions you might have on how the learning systems work at the University.

How do I tell where a paper is taught?

Papers are taught in a variety of ways in a variety of locations. The main locations are:

(HAM) - the Hamilton campus in Hillcrest
(TGA) - The University of Waikato, Tauranga
(NET) - via the Internet

For Tauranga students, the majority of papers are taught through lectures and tutorials at the Windermere and Bongard Centre Campuses.

For a full list of subject codes and locations, see the University of Waikato Calendar.

The room numbering system at the Windermere and Bongard Centre Campuses

How to work it out:

Look at the map of the Windermere campus.
All buildings are allocated a letter. Find the building you are looking for, example H = H Block.

To find room H.237
H - go to H Block
2 - go to the 2nd Floor
237 - go to room number 237

At the Bongard Centre your lecture room numbers are prefaced by DT, which means 'Downtown'.

To find room DT.104
DT - go to the Bongard Centre
1 - go to the 1st Floor
104 - go to room 104

Paper Codes

Each paper has a unique code. The codes are structured in the following way:

For example - ACCT224-17A (TGA)
ACCT - is the subject code; in this case Accounting
224 - is the level and unique number of the paper
17A - is the year and semester indicator
TGA - is the location where the paper is to be taught

Other locations where papers are taught include: (HAM) - Hamilton; (NET) or (NTG) - via the Internet and (BLK) - Block (where papers are taught through a combination of face-to-face teaching with online involvement as well).

How do I tell when a paper is taught?

Papers are taught over a variety of teaching periods within the year.
The four main teaching periods are:

A Semester

The 17A within a paper code indicates that the paper will be taught in the A Semester 2017, for example
ACCT301-17A (TGA) - Capstone in Accounting.
The A Semester runs from February to June.

B Semester

The 17B within a paper code indicates that the paper will be taught in the B Semester 2017, for example
BIOL313-17B (TGA) - Applied Freshwater Ecology.
The B Semester runs from July to November.

Full Year

The 17Y within a paper code indicates that the paper will be taught over the full year, for example
LAWS103-17Y (TGA) - Legal Method.
Full-year papers start at the beginning of the A Semester in February and continue until the end of the B Semester in November.

Summer School

The 17S or 17T within a paper code indicates that the paper will be taught in one of the two Summer School semesters. For example ACCT302-17S (TGA) - Financial Accounting.

Summer School 1 (Semester S) runs from January to February. Summer School 2 (Semester T) runs from November to December.

Sometimes papers are taught over periods other than those outlined above. These papers have a C, D, E or F etc, at the end of the code. Normally, the weeks in which these papers will be taught are detailed under the entry for a paper in the Waikato University Calendar. If details aren't given, contact the Faculty or Schools of Study or department teaching the paper for information.

Both A and B Semester ends with Study week, followed by a 2 week examination period.

How to work out a timetable

  1. Check lecture times and rooms on
  2. You can create a timetable by entering your lectures, tutorials, workshops and labs.
  3. Print out your timetable.
  4. Use one timetable for each semester.

Timetable clashes

If you have a timetable clash, you need to do something about it.

  1. Change one of the papers on iWaikato, or
  2. Talk to someone about alternative papers; see the Future Student Advisor at Windermere, or Student Advisor if you study at the Bongard Centre.

Need to change your programme of study?

  • Go to iWaikato then Change Enrolment and follow the prompts.
  • While on iWaikato, make sure your contact details are correct.
  • When changes to papers have been approved, a Notification of Change will be posted and emailed to you.
    • If additional fees are due and you are not paying them by Student Loan, sign and return the Notification of Change with payment to the Cashiers at the Information Centres.
    • If no fees are due or you are paying your fees by Student Loan, an "information only" Notification of Change will be emailed to you.

You must retain full-time status to qualify for Student Loan living costs and/or a Student Allowance, and some scholarships.

For further information, contact your Faculty or School of Study.


Lectures are where you will do most of your learning and is delivered by an academic staff member and exposes you to information, ideas and theories. To find out when your lectures are being held go to the online timetable which can be accessed from or from iWaikato. Lectures are normally 50 minutes long. Morning lectures start on the hour (up to and including 12 noon). In the afternoon lectures start at 10 minutes past the hour from 1:10pm onwards. Some lecturers provide outlines or summaries of what is presented in the lecture either on-line or in hard copy. These are either handed out in the lecture or can be downloaded from your School/Faculty website. These notes are complementary to your attendance at lectures.

Workshops, Labs, Field Trips

Workshops, labs (laboratories) and/or field trips are an essential part of many papers. Attendance is compulsory and forms part of the assessment. The purpose of workshops and labs is to provide practical experience for many of the topics covered in lectures and tutorials. Labs also refer to the places in which this practical work takes place, so you will hear terms such as computer lab, language lab or science lab.


Tutorials are discussion-based classes and are in addition to your lectures and are facilitated by a tutor or your lecturer. Most tutorials start in the second week of each semester and provide the opportunity for you to raise questions about the lectures and assignments. In some papers attendance and participation in tutorials is part of the assessment process and will contribute to your final grade.


Moodle is the University's online learning system. Many papers have course resources and discussion forums in Moodle. You can access Moodle from the student homepage page which can be accessed from when you login with your student login.


Each Faculty is divided into schools of study. For example, the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences include the School of Arts, the School of Psychology and the School of Social Sciences.

If you are studying a Hamilton paper, find the school for your paper so that you can locate your lecturer's office.

In Tauranga, at the Windermere campus, University staff reside in the Maharaia building (or V Block). Ask for them at Reception or call them from the internal phone in the Reception foyer.

Office Hours

If you wish to see a particular lecturer, check on the times that he or she is available to students. Some will state their availability in paper outlines or you can check with your lecturer via email.

Paper Outlines

You will receive a paper outline for each paper which provides detail about the content, reading and assessment requirements for that paper.

Reading Manuals and Text Books

A reading manual contains photocopied readings the lecturer has selected to complement the lecture programme. Reading manuals can be purchased through Shopping Mall on iWaikato. Go to Common Tasks, Personal Purchasing and click on Shopping Mall. Type % in the search box for a list of all your current available course readings.

In addition to a reading manual it may be recommended that you purchase text books. These can be purchased from Bennetts University Bookshop online, or at secondhand bookshops.

Photocopying (BOPP Uniflow Account) at the Tauranga Campus

To photocopy, simply swipe your UoW student ID card through the photocopier and enter your PIN number. When your ID card is issued, an email is sent to your student email address with a PIN number.

You can top up your Toi Ohomai Uniflow account at the Cashiers in the Information Centre or through staff in Ako Atea.

Printing (UniCash) at the Tauranga Campus

To print your work you need to add money to your UniCash account. You must have a valid credit card or a bank account capable of Internet banking (we suggest one of the major banks).

To top up your Unicash, go to

You will find more information on our ICT Self Help page.


Each paper has been given a point value. A full-time year of study equals 120 points. The total student learning hours required for a paper can be calculated at 10 times the point value of the paper, for example, a 15 point paper would require 150 hours of study.


The work you produce for your papers will be assessed in a variety of ways. Common forms of assessment include: essays, reports, presentations and tests. Paper outlines and handouts provide guidelines for the forms of assessment and will give you the dates on which your assignments are due, along with the penalties for missing these dates.

Whether your paper involves an exam or is assessed internally is indicated by a ratio. For example, ALED100-17A Writing for University Purposes, has an internal assessment/ final examination ratio of 2:1, which means that 67% of the paper is assessed throughout the semester and the final exam makes up 33% of the overall mark.

Group Work

Many papers involve a component of group work as this helps develop skills which will assist you in your future career as well as during your time at university. At times, problems can develop in group work and these need to be resolved quickly either by discussion among group members or with your lecturer or tutor.

Study Groups

Many students find working in a study group motivating, helping to develop a deeper understanding of a subject through the exchange of ideas. Visit Student Learning for more information.


If you have been prevented from meeting a deadline for an assignment by circumstances such as illness, accident or personal crisis, you may apply for an extension. To do this, check your paper outline or ask your lecturer. You may be required to provide proof to verify your circumstances.


Tests are held during the semester and are overseen by your lecturer. Test papers will be marked and returned to you once your results are available.


Examinations are held during the exam weeks after lectures have finished. The examination timetable is available online or on the University notice board in Ako Atea. The exam timetable comes out six weeks before exams are held.

There is also an examination information brochure which includes information on; special examination arrangements, examination procedures, special consideration for impaired performance or missed examinations, and review of grades. This brochure can be picked up from the Maharaia Reception and the information is available online.

Formal examinations are held under strict conditions and are overseen by the Assessment Office. Take your student ID Card to the exam. Before each exam begins, the supervisors will explain how the exam will be run and at what stage you can leave the room.

Special Consideration

If you are ill or have a personal crisis during exam time, you can apply for special consideration. You must either see a doctor or counsellor within 24 hours of your exam for your application to be considered.

Find out more information about examinations and assessments.


Plagiarism is the direct copying or paraphrasing of somebody else's writing, ideas or other material in your assignments without using referencing to show that this information is not your original work. It is fine to include and use ideas and information from other sources, including the internet, but you must state who or what the sources are, and you must use quotation marks if you are using the original author's exact words.

The paper outline for your course, or the Lecturer, should tell you which referencing system to use. The Library's website provides you with style guides and examples on the different referencing systems used at the University. Plagiarism is misconduct and will be dealt with through the University Student Discipline Regulations and if established, penalties will be applied.

Student Academic Complaints Policy

Students should seek to resolve academic issues with their tutor/lecturer in the first instance. However, if a serious issue arises and a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached, you can get information and advice on the complaints procedure by contacting the Tauranga Student Support Co-ordinator who is based in the Maharaia Building, Windermere campus or by calling 07 577 8676.

What happens if I owe the University money?

There are several ways students might owe the University money, e.g. fees, charges, library fines and disciplinary fines. If you do owe the University money, you can visit the Administration staff at the Maharaia building for advice.

Students who owe the University money may not be able to re-enrol, use the Library, transfer their academic record to another University, or receive their degree or other qualification.

If you require any advice or information that is not covered in this section, contact our Student Services team at the Maharaia Building, Windermere on 07 5578676 or email